Wednesday, June 29, 2011

WIWOW June 29, 2011

Hi everyone:


Yikes, it's Wednesday again already. I've had my head down at the sewing machine finishing off a project which I need to ship out this week (sorry, still can't show you what I've actually been working on). It's finally finished and I've learned a thing or two while doing it. 


First, if you're going to do a project with a deadline, keep it small and simple, or what I like to call the KISS principle. As any of my friends will tell you, keeping it simple is not my strong suit! I always have plans larger than my time allows, but that's okay because I definitely work better with deadlines and I haven't missed one yet (at least I don't think I have).


I guess one small owl wouldn't have been enough!
Second, don't plan projects with tight deadlines around the busiest time of the year, which in our household would be either December or June. Now I'll admit that I don't always have control over this, however, I should really learn to say "I'm sorry, that doesn't work for me" a bit more often in December and June.
You need it when?!!


Third, don't think too much about it, just get going on it. I tend to agonize over small details, rather than just moving along. Too much thinking equals nothing completed. Better to complete the project and then think about what you might change next time after it's done, then to miss out on an opportunity.
Should I add a second border? Are these colours exactly right? Just get on with it!


So it's been good to learn a few things from this experience. Now if only I'll remember them when the next opportunity comes along...















2 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Great advice. I do so love your cute owls. Going to be a spectacular quilt. I think it would also make an excellent entry for the Pets on Quilts Show. Sure would be fun to be like Harry Potter and have your own Owl.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Lol you are hilarious! :-)
Love owls!
Monika