Monday, December 1, 2014

30th Anniversary Celebration in Beautiful Banff, Alberta, Canada

Hi everyone:

First a warning: this post may be offensive to some quilters as it doesn't contain any quilting information or photos. If you dare read on, don't say you weren't warned...

A few weeks ago we went to Banff, Alberta to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We stopped in Canmore, Alberta at The Sugar Pine Company, the local quilt shop, which just happened to have demos going that day and 10% off storewide. (Okay, this is the only quilting reference in this blogpost). I did buy just a few things that I absolutely needed or will need for a future project, I'm sure. After lunch, we heading into Banff to the Rimrock Resort Hotel. I'm told that the Rimrock has a gorgeous view of the mountains, but the fog was so thick that we couldn't see anything but the trees (no, not the forest either). 
View from our room at the Rimrock Resort Hotel - lots of fog and snow
We spent some time shopping in town and had a wonderful dinner at Melissa's Missteak, a Banff institution. The next morning we headed up to the Cave and Basin to look around and snap a few pictures. 
View from the top of the Cave and Basin
We also went into the Banff Indian Trading Post and I picked up a few souvenirs and some Christmas presents. 
Totem pole outside the Banff Indian Trading Post
No, I didn't bring home any of these for Christmas gifts
I remember going there when I was very young (just a few years ago!) and wondered if the merman was still there. Yes, he was and looked as scary as ever! 
Merman
Photo courtesy of www.calgaryherald.com
After this it was a quick trip to the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel - just behind the Prime Minister and the President of France - and then home. 
Just missed lunch with the dignitaries at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel
Of course the day we were returning was gorgeous and sunny so we stopped to take some photos on the way back. 





Since that week-end, it's been back to quilting, filming and editing for an upcoming project. I've got big news to share but I can't let the cat out of the bag yet. I'm hoping that I'll be able to let you in on the secret very soon...

Happy quilting!



4 comments:

Lori Z said...

These are my favorite kind of blog posts! Glad you had a nice getaway. The pictures almost make me homesick. Notice I said almost!!

SewCalGal said...

Happy 30th Anniversary and what a fun way to celebrate. Visiting Banff is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing photos. Although that Merman looks a little scary.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blospot.com

Colleen said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. It sounds like a wonderful weekend for the two of you!

benilhalk said...

30th anniversary! How cool is that! You have selected one of best location for celebrating your vows. Hey this Merman is looking so nice. I really want to visit this gorgeous venue! I think this location for vows would be perfect for celebrating our wedding anniversary too!